First, let me start by wishing you all a Happy New Year and thank you for following and viewing this blog! Interest has been greater than I ever expected. So, once again, thank you!
I have decided that my New Year resolution will be to complete at least 2, if not more, 28mm ships for Golconda. Two are already underway and have lain dormant in the slipways for some 9 months now...family and work commitments getting in the way.
Both ships are by Old Glory. The first ship is, I understand, no longer in production and was called a "fantasy galleon" if I recall correctly. I think it was "fantasy" as although the stern has windows, there is no cabin at the level they are placed, above deck!
I had purchased it about 10 years ago and it sat in a box until March 2010. Once I started things went quickly. I didn't keep a photo log as I had fears for the way they would turn out. I hadn't lifted up a brush, other than for basing, for 10 years. I had expected to strip it and pass on to someone else to paint...
I started by scratch building rails and gun ports which had disappeared over the years. I then undercoated the model with a brown spray by Army Painter that I picked up for a price better than a generic spray can from the local hardware store.
I then masked off areas with masking tape and sprayed with a blue, also by Army Painter - then masked the appropriate areas and painted the black and gold by hand. I then drybrushed the base colours using a mix of Vallejo and GW paints. And drybrushed. And drybrushed. The blue turned out darker than I hoped.
The masts were painted ochre and then drybrushed. As it will be used for gaming each mast is missing a spar so that I have access to the deck.
Overall I am quite happy with the way it has progressed to date. Rigging has been trialled and merely needs to be permanently put in place.
The second ship is an Old Glory corvette. This is a very nice model but has some drawbacks, at least in my opinion.
The top deck is too small to take the full compliment of guns.
And the stern lacks detail. I have sourced some suitable windows from the doll's house section of the local hobby store : )
Again, I have used the paints and process described in relation to the first ship. Still, I think this will turn out very nicely.
After this there are three more to go, two of which are larger than the fantasy galleon : (
I will certainly have to name at least one model the Resolution!