Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Great Book for SYW India Gaming

One of the best resources for getting into this period is Mike Kirby's The Campaigns In India During The Seven Years War.


If you have any interest at all in the period I recommend you get the book. There is information on uniforms, battles, army composition and  figure availability (although the latter is now a bit out of date). The author's preference is for Volley & Bayonet as a rule set, but this doesn't detract from his suggestions for amendments/ modifications which apply equally to all rulesets. There are even some nice random event card suggestions.

The author has also viewed numerous British sources firsthand. The information presented seems accurate to me, more than can be said of a recent publication that I may review in the future.

I understand that the book was heavily edited before publication and segments not included. I think this shows in spots, and detracts slightly. Nonetheless, it is a very useful publication. If you are a gamer and only have one book on the period this is the one!

The book is available from On Military Matters, Caliver Books and Miniature Wargames.

11 comments:

  1. I should also have said that the book is in magazine format and is 40 pages in total. Colour pictures are limited to front and back covers, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review. I do love this period in particular with the French assisting at Plassey.

    Cheers,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the Ends of the Earth! Covering the FIW and the Wars in India. Any good?

    Ciao,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is also available from "On Military Matters" in North America . . . but I believe it may be more expensive than the UK options (it is $24 US).


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff,

    I highly recommend "On Military Matters". I have dealt with them on a number of occasions with no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen,

    I have some problems with the author of "To the Ends of the Earth", Stuart Reid. He doesn't provide an extensive list of primary authorities. For example, he says a number of companys of the Glasgow Greys were in India. He is the only source to say this. I have read the regimental history which indicates that the entire regiment was in the south of England at that time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks GWZ, I've ordered through Caliver the former book.

    Cheers,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. First Ian Weekly models and now this!!
    I bought that book from Miniature Wargames editor about ten years ago. Nice reading, but a bit short... I wanted more.

    Emilio

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again Emilio!

    I agree it was a bit short. I believe that was the editing issue. A shame, I agree. Something a bit longer would have been nice.


    gwz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff,

    added On Military Matters as suggested!

    gwz

    ReplyDelete
  11. gwz,

    I also frequently deal with OMM and do like their service . . . and, in fact, I got an email from Dennis a few days ago to let me know that he was shipping something I'd ordered that had come in.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete