Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Shades of the Raj!

I received my order from Vedams today. For those that don't know, Vedams is an online retailer of books based in New Delhi. I have dealt with them for about five years and have never had a problem with them. The orders are always received promptly and well packed.

You can find them at http://www.vedamsbooks.com/

Anyway, I was amazed today at the wrapping of the books I ordered. Shades of the Raj, I thought. Wrapped in linen, hand stitched and the ends of the stitching sealed with red wax! I haven't been able to bring myself to open it...and it will be a real shame to do so!



So what did I order?
The Private Diary of Ananda Ranga Pillai : A Record of Matters: Political, Historical, Social and Personal from 1736 to 1761 (a 12 Volume set). Pillai was a dubash (native representative) in the service of the French East Indies Company.

Pillai

His diaries are an important source of informatio regarding the Carnatic Wars.

He was particularly close to the French Governor of the time, Joseph Francois Dupleix, who favoured Pillai with a number of important appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment